Monday 20 October 2008

Goodbye Contact Lens

It’s been 3 days since I did the eye laser at Optimax last week, in fact I very much wanted to write immediately after I came out from the operation room. “It was such a awful experience and I never felt so helpless before” (that’s what I thought there and then, don’t worry, things were not that bad after all)

I was very nervous from the day I decided to go for the laser treatment, I was worry what if they over correct the eye sight, what if the eye do not heal in time, what if I waters get into the eyes accidentally etc. I was still indecisive until I lay myself on the operation bed.

I consider myself lucky that there is no condition with my eyes and I go proceed to do the most conventional type of treatment available (in other words the cheapest). (Don’t worry about what to choose if you attend to go for what, your eyes will choose for you because different eye condition required different treatment)

So I signed up myself to do the LASIK treatment, (to cut the story short, we go straight to the operation day,) Before going in to the operation theatre, the doctor double triple checked my eyes and drew a mark on my eye ball (can you believe it? my eyes are numb after one drop of anesthetic and I literally looked at the marker pen point a dot on my eye)

And she explained again what are the risks of undergoing this operation, saying about 5 percent of the patients have to go through enhancement treatment if their eye sights are not corrected properly, about 1 our a 200 thousand get inflammation problem and ruined the operation, and if machine turn out faulty, it’s not their fault. (wow, that’s the best word of encouragement for a patient before surgery)

And she emphasis that when you are on the operation theatre, just focus your eyes on the red light twinkling on top of you, whatever is it, DO NOT MOVE YOUR EYE BALL, because the laser is coming down to your eyes and anything could happened when you move. OK, I got it right, what’s so difficult about focusing at one dot.


The operation began


I was totally dressed up in a surgery patient outfit: the “baju tidur”, the “ shower cap” and the “factory shoe cover”, the doctor even asked me not to put any hair gel, any face cream or the same sort, can imagine how ugly I was. Then I rest my head on the “basin like” compartment, doctor used a clamp to clip on the upper and lower part of the eye so that the eye will not blink (believe me, it feels like the same when the kid trying to tear off the Barbie doll eye). Then when everything is in place, the doctor asked me to look at the red light and gave the instruction to the assistant to “start suction”.

The operation halted

They placed a ring like blade on my eye ball, pressed it down and start cutting a flap in order to do the laser later (this is not the blade-free technology, for those that are faint hearted, please please go for the blade-free treatment). When the ring was pressed on the eyeball, I lost sight for a few seconds, and I was panic and when hysterical, at the same time I can feel the blade like tiny scissors cutting off the cornea skin bit by bit, even though there was no pain, just the ticklish sensation has really got unto my nerves.

That’s when I started to lost control of my focus, I heard the doctor said” don’t move, don’t move, look at the red light.” and her hand was pining my head from any movement. I was trying hard to look for the red light, all I saw was a vision of red, all red, I didn’t know where is the twinkling red light, and the doctor had to stop the laser for about three to four times I can’t even recall. When she repeatedly said “ don't move, look at the red light!” deep down my hear I feel like shouting out “ I can’t find the red light la, you think I don’t want to stay focus!?”

I nearly want to cry and stop the operation for the left eye, I was all frightened.. But I was not given the time to think about it or say it out and they started to do the second treatment, luckily after one bad experience, I managed to stayed more focus and the operation only stopped once for the left eye.

The operation completed

After I came out from the operation theatre, the doctor checked on the eye again to make sure the flap was closed nicely without any wrinkles, so everything was alright. And I asked the doctor many times “ will the result be affected? did I move too much?” Doctor said “ don’t worry so much, just pray hard. Some patients move a lot but the result was good, some didn't move at all but the result was not satisfactory, it depends a lot on the individual, you just take care of your eyes now and come back for check up tomorrow.”

I went back with my eyes closed and heart hanging in the air all the way to home, tried to sleep as much as I could and avoid television for the first 24 hours as advised by the doctor. Guess what I do when I couldn’t sleep being too excited? I on the television and “listen” to the drama series with the eye closed, though I don’t understand some part of it, I find it an interesting experience, like my grandmother’s time listen to “ lai de fu sheng”

The aftercare

The after care of the treatment is rather easy, antibiotic eye drop and artificial tears every two hours for the first 3 days and followed by how many times how many days in the next 4 days and next one week and so on and so forth. But the funny thing is that I have to wear “ultra man” eye shield to sleep for the first one week in order to prevent the accidental eye rubbing during sleep.

When Tzeh put the eye shield on me and fixed it with tape the first night, we could not stopped laughing and took photo for remembrance, I said I looked like the kidnapped rich girl waiting for the parents to pay ransom and he said I looked like the sexual abuse victim (geram!!) I said it’s ultra man mask and he insist it’s dragon ball mask, at least we still get some fun out of the whole trauma..


The check up
The first thing that I see very clearly after the treatment was Tzeh sitting beside me (cheh, like so loving, he was busy surfing the internet la) I shouted with excitement “ I can see you so clearly now!!!” Thank God I do not have much of the dry eye and haloes symptom and I only left with 25 and 50 short sighted on the right and left eye respectively.

Doctor said the right eye that went through a lot movement during the operation ironically doing better than the left eye, and there is slight inflammation on the left eye, she prescribe one additional eye drop to cure to infection and we have scheduled for a check up tomorrow (hopefully everything will be fine)


The side track
Heard a friend of Tzeh actually accompanied the girlfriend into the operation theatre and witnessed how the blade cut off the flap, how the laser burnt into sparks etc. So if you are considering the eye laser treatment, make sure you grab your partner to witness the gory procedure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

eeyyywwwwww.... congrats.

sarah said...

wah woman!!!! you are super brave!!! you did lasik on both eyes? how are the eyes now? you have perfect eyesight now?

gHoStdAnCeR said...

yes woman!!! i did lasik on both eyes, i'm going for one week check up tomorrow. things are alright except have to apply this and that eye drops every two hours/ four hours. doc said the power will fluctuate during the first few months, but according to the last check up, i only left 25 power each eye:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are one step closer to achieving Mahathir's VISION 2020! unfortunately, the same cant be sais to our country ;(

[JAMES LEE]