Tuesday 21 October 2008

crazy little thing called love


When I heard the promo about the church will be hosting the stage performance for a “romantic drama” (that’s how I perceived from the title of the drama), I was so excited. Love has always been a subject I could not from school, from workshop, from book, from anywhere else I could think so.

So I started to imagine “Erm.. the drama will tell you how to love? Or tell you how to love properly? Or tell you to love with dignity? Or…” I just so much look forward to a “ lesson of love” from the touring theatre company. In order to convince myself and invite others to this drama strongly recommended by the pastor, I ran a check on them (as usual).

Who are they?
Footstool players are a group of Christian inspired to equip Malaysian churches to use theatre as a medium of communication, they were grew out of a drama ministry in one of the local church, they have been providing a series of thought-provoking drama to many churches since 2001. (I’m not sure if they are trained actors and actresses, but they all did a great show)

Why Footstool?
Footstool players give me the thought that they are poor in its nature that they can only afford to act on stage with a footstool, not a Lorenzo sofa set. I felt silly to find out that they actually took their name from the bible verse, it is meant to be a humble place of meeting between ourselves and God. “Exalt the Lord our God, and worship at his footstool.” Psalm 99:5

The sketches
So I went for the drama last week with my half blinded eyes (second day after eye laser), people must be impressed that a blind person also came to watch the drama ( I was wearing huge sunglasses in the dark auditorium, because the spotlight causes glares to my eyes)

The play is divided into two acts: the first one deals with love, courtship and marriage, a lot of laughter, almost like chow xing chee movie; while the second one deals with family relationship, that’s where we got into the real issues in the real world.

It almost covers all sort of possible relationship you can think of under the sun, I’m sure you will be touched here and there along the story, whether you are fighting with your girlfriend who loves who more, whether your boyfriend never wants to say sorry to you. Some family with adopted son, some father ran away with another woman, some daughter rebel against the mother and some husband working too hard and abandon the wife etc.

The message

But all in all, I think the message of the drama is to speak out to your love ones, we are living in a reserved culture where we seldom express our love to our parents, brothers sisters or even spouses and many times with the pressure to live, to work, to achive, we have forgotten that we indeed love someone in our heart. I do not want to tell you so much about the story, else what’s the point of you going for the drama knowing everything already. I can not tell you much about the message either, because everyone gets little something different from the scenarios.

The performance
If you missed the performance last week, the Foostool Players will be performing at The Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre(KLPac) Pentas 2 as follows (I don’t earn commission from this, just thought it’s a nice show to catch)

6-8, 13-15 November 2008 @ 8:30pm
8-9, 15-16 November 2008 @ 3:00pm

Tickets: RM30 adults / RM20 students, senior citizens and disabled
Tickets available from: KLPac Box Office Tel: (03) 4047 9000
Actors Studio at BSC Tel: (03) 2094 0400

No comments: